Its that time of year again when I (mostly) take a pause from writing HTML/CSS and don my publishing/content editor hat for RedFest (or the Redland Spring Festival for non-locals).
Over the last few months, prospective performers, vendors, and volunteers have been submitting their applications to attend RedFest 2017 which is to be held over the weekend of 8-10 September. The Committee has been working hard to sift through hundreds of applications and put together one of the best lineups I've seen in the 9 years we've been involved - bands, singers, dancers, kids activities, budgies, orchids, flyball dogs, stilt-walkers, clowns, baristas, food trucks, ride operators, and showbag sellers.
And finally, they've all made their way to our desks.
Many of our clients and followers may not be aware but Propeller have been involved with RedFest as suppliers, supporters and major sponsors since 2009 when then Councillor (now Mayor) Karen Williams invited us to re-brand the festival and develop a new website.
Since then, every year, we've worked our way through branding exercises and new websites, numerous programs, posters, festival maps, and advertisements - all of the basic marketing collateral that makes a modern festival go-round.
There is a lot of change in the RedFest camp in 2017, wth a new President and new Committee Members, looming administrative changes, and plenty of new ideas all contributing towards making RedFest better and looking forward to RedFest's 60th Anniversary year in 2018.
Exciting changes to venues are underway with a larger, better oriented main concert stage marquee, jazz and blues breaking out into Strawberry Plaza with a new larger stage, jazz-bar style table and seating arrangements, complete with a lineup of some of South East Queensland's finest food trucks. Kids activities are also getting a major upgrade with a new marquee and of course traditional favourites - the lantern parade, and for the first time, RedFest will feature major firework displays on both Friday and Saturday nights.
In addition to renewing our support for RedFest as Gold sponsors, Propeller have this year been invited to take a more involved role, handling much of the copy-writing and content production, social media, corporate communications, and taking a fresh approach to print collateral all with the aim to make the overall marketing effort more cohesive, all of which will be released in coming weeks.
Most of my time over the last couple of weeks has been spent bringing the 2017 program to life and up to date on the website in preparation for the marketing push in the runup to the show. For the numbers people and nerds out there, here are some facts and figures from this years' update:
- 60 program entries (to date), each with individal copy, three different-sized hero images (cropped/sized manually to retain editorial control over the image presentation from mobile though to desktop), a selection of secondary gallery images where provided, related entries to applications to display performer social media links, and hand-picked related program entries for 'You may also enjoy' features.
- 91 timeslots linking program entries to 11 differrent venues.
- Selecting 12 program entries to feature on the homepage - all of which are rotated over coming weeks to ensure everyone gets noticed.
- Listing and summarising food and drink vendors so everyone can plan their meals and find the best coffee (or beer) to get them through the program!
- Updating news articles, About info, travel guidance, ticket details and FAQ's, sponsor lists etc.
- Cueing up program and news entries for sharing to social media.
- Curating the program into 6 email newsletters to share the program with subscribers for each of three weeks prior to the festival and highlights which go out early each day of the festival.
Last year the website received over 120,000 pageviews with 39,500 over the 3 days of the festival alone. Additionally, over 5,500 people created their own 'My Program' festival shortlists.
Whilst all of this has been going on, Renee has been working on printed programs, posters, volunteer call-outs, preparing articles and highlights for the website and social media in addition to preparing advertisements and advertorials for distribution to the press.
Weekend Pass Giveaway
To celebrate our history and ongoing support for RedFest, in coming weeks we'll be giving away 50 full weekend passes with clients and followers, each worth $35. Watch this space for your chance to enjoy entrance to RedFest with your friends and family absolutely free.
RedFest 2017 is shaping up to be bigger and better than ever. We hope to see you there!